[Ambassadors] [EMEA] - Cheat Cube decission was Re: EMEA ambassadors meeting 2011-03-23 minutes

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 24 12:32:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 13:17 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 24.03.2011, 17:59 +0800 schrieb Mathieu Bridon:
> > We have usually received our media within two weeks after GA. I remember
> > the EMEA media for Fedora 13 were received almost a month after we had
> > started distributing ours.
>
> Yes, because you (=the French ambassadors) are doing it on your own

As I said somewhere else, I personally sent media to Kosovo because EMEA
couldn't do it yet.

So no, we are not trying to do it on our own as in "we are the only ones
who matter".

We are trying to do it efficiently and have the media in due time. We
are trying to minimize contention points: if we screw up, then Zoltan in
Hungary doesn't suffer from it, we are the only ones affected.

> , you don't care about approval from the board

What approval do we need? We are only producing already approved media.

Plus, we had an (unwritten unfortunately) approval for producing swag
with the Fedora trademark on it.

>  and because you happen to have
> a NPO. Who would have paid if you didn't have the NPO? Are you willing
> to pay and then wait for reimbursement?

See, I think we are getting to the crux of the problem:
    The only sane way to produce swag and have it in due time is to have
local NPOs to handle budget, orders and shipping. [1]

No, I'm not saying that Ardian and Gent should have an NPO just for the
two of them, that doesn't make any sense.

But let's say, if there was an NPO in Greece, which is (kind of) close
to Kosovo, then they could work with that local NPO to have their swag.

[1] When I say "local" I mean "EMEA is already way too global".

> > And that was only the first central
> > recipient, who then had to ship them over EMEA, adding more delay before
> > people can have their swag.
> >
> > This is not efficient.
> >
> > Sure, doing everything locally costs a bit more money
>
> Not only a little bit but significantly more, see above example. I can
> give you the numbers for media production, the difference between a
> small and a large batch is significant there, too.

Cheatcubes are not release specific. One local community can easily
produce lots of them and distribute them along 3 or 4 releases. Think of
it as an investment.

We did that for Fedora-branded USB sticks. That cost a lot of money to
produce more than 2 years ago, but we still are distributing them.

So you can produce big quantities locally.

Note that it's why we have always asked for budget annually instead of
quarterly.

> > but that is the only sane way to have swag to distribute in a reasonable
> > delay (i.e as soon as possible after GA)
>
> I distributed ~ 2500 media within a week. I don't think this is a
> reasonable delay.

I guess you mean "unreasonable"?

My point is not how fast you can distribute them, but how fast you can
get them.

--
Mathieu