[Ambassadors] It doesn't really matter if Fedora is the 2º most used Linux system

Truong Anh. Tuan tuanta at iwayvietnam.com
Sun Nov 27 15:30:51 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

+1.
That's the main reason why I decided to be a part of Fedora community,
not any others.

That's also the reason encourages more people to join with us.

> If we get more users, that's fine, but what we really want is more
> contributors to extend our technological lead. Sure, a larger user
> base means more potential contributors, but it's not that simple:
>      1. Users must be willing to participate. Ubuntu and others have
>         always tried to be easy to use for newbies, but as these
>         people hardly contribute back, they have gained nothing.

+1. Case study from Ubuntu is fit in this case.

>      2. We need to make it easier to get involved in Fedora. If people
>         decide they want to contribute, we need to offer them a chance
>         to participate in a way that suits their needs and their skills.
>         Even if we want the latest and the greatest technology, we must
>         not focus only on geeky developers. Instead we must give
>         everybody something to do in Fedora, whether it is testing,
>         marketing, design, packaging, translations or something else.

People just need to have sharing culture. Then they need to know that
Fedora is the best place for them to contribute most to the whole FOSS
ecosystem. That's one of our main missions as an ambassador.

> The real success of Fedora cannot be measured in the number of users but
> in the number of contributions to the whole Linux ecosystem and I wish
> that all ambassadors understand this message and spread it.
>
> Last but not least: Lets not argue or compete with other distributions
> about stupid numbers, let's all work together to make more and better
> Free software!

I totally share with Christoph's ideas.

Kind regards,
Tuan