[Ambassadors] Fedora is the 2º most used Linux s ystem

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 28 14:42:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 15:03 +0100, Jukka Palander wrote:
> > Another example is the redesign of the user menu for Gnome 3.4, which
> > might reintroduce the poweroff button in some cases.
>
> Might ;-) OK, +1 for the GNOME team.
>
> Now it is a gnome-shell-extension which does not work _at all_ and keeps
> crashing the whole thing.
> Many of the other extension should also be _part of the GNOME core_

That's your opinion.

I use absolutely no extension and don't feel the need for any of them.
But that's my opinion.

> Sometimes, when developing new, one should think and think hard.

Are you implying that the GNOME developers didn't think?

I'm sure they love to read that the 2 years they spent on defining what
GNOME 3 would be, followed by more than a year of iterating on it, were
not enough in your opinion.

GNOME 3 is not an accident. It's not a weird dream that an inebriated
designer barely remembered when he woke up. It is a carefully thought
user experience. (which of course is not finished just yet ;)

> Well then. This was not the topic of the thread at all and therefore we
> should open another GNOME-topic if someone sees it is necessary (maybe
> some other mailing list also).

You realize that this is what almost everyone has been asking you from
the start? To take any useful feedback to where it can actually be
useful?

It's not that « we don't want to hear the ugly truth ». It's that if the
truth is ugly, then it must be taken where it is possible to do
something about it.

You don't fix bugs or create new designs on ambassadors@, it's just not
the right place.

> Still, I am not dropping from ambassadors group so easily -at least not
> yet. I like Fedora and I do want to spread it out there. Only that I
> (and many others) do not like is GNOME (anymore).

Glad you realized that there's more to Fedora than it's current default
desktop. :)

--
Mathieu