[Ambassadors] Hardware for Fedora booths

Jon jdisnard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 16:37:44 UTC 2012

Just want to point out that starting with F18, fedora-arm will support
only three ARM kernels as we push to achieve Primary Arch (PA) status:

* OMAP  (panda board, beagle board, etc)
* VExpress (Qemu)
* Highbank (Cannot think of any publicly available hardware, also in QEMU)

So that really means Beagle Boards [1], and/or Panda Board [2].
Of these choices the Panda is (IMHO) the best supported ARM systems
for ambassadors (because it has graphics).

Raspberry Pi's are great because they are so cheap, and they have graphics.
They are well supported by an affiliated group (Seneca Collage [3]) ,
and provide all the missing bits the official Fedora-arm does not.

The point I'm trying to make is that perhaps Ambassadors should
demonstrate hardware that is officially supported.

I will be using a pandaboard to demo Fedora at an upcoming event,
combined with a Motorola lapdock similar to this [5].
This will be using the official Fedora-xfce image [4].

I think it would be great to have these as part of the regional event kit.
ARM boards are inexpensive enough that there should be flexibility the
purchase process.
These computers are comparable to the cost of event swag.

[1] http://beagleboard.org/
[2] http://pandaboard.org/
[3] http://cdot.senecac.on.ca/
[4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Pandaboard
[5] http://liliputing.com/2012/06/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-laptop-with-a-70-motorola-lapdock.html

Have a great Day!
-Jon

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> you all probably noticed the recent Fedora hardware sweeptakes. I spoke
>> with Spot and he said in the future, he could get some hardware for
>> ambassadors to show Fedora running on it at various events.
>> We discussed this a bit in FAmSCo and we agreed that such hardware could
>> go to regional event boxes, or perhaps to ambassadors who represent
>> Fedora at events the most.
>
> This is a case where long term (and I really mean short term)
> ambassadors should get more involved in the budget process. We should
> probably just have a capital budget so that more expensive systems
> used at booths can be purchased on a regular cycle (laptops for event
> boxes, multi-touch or larger displays, etc.). We can lean on spot for
> another 10 years or we can try to grow up and be more self-sufficient.
>
> For items of a smaller nature I don't think anyone in Red Hat should
> need to be bothered about it. Ambassadors can regionally approved
> spending $200 on Raspberry Pis and just go buy them if they want them
> for use at events now.
>
> Of course, if spot has extras that need homes I would welcome any open
> hardware on which we can show off Fedora.
>
> John

-Jon