[Ambassadors] conference request

mario juliano grande balletta mario.balletta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:23:44 UTC 2012

Greetings All!

Thank you for the wonderful time and hospitality at the FUDcon in
Balcksburg!  It was a great way to start 2012!  I wanted to ask the
group for some advice and also for some help.  The largest technology
conference tailored for women in our field is the Grace Hopper
Conference, sponsored by the Anita Borg foundation.

This year, the event is in Baltimore, Maryland.  The dates are from
October 03-06, 2012 at the Baltimore Conference Center.

I would like some of the experienced female members of Fedora Project
to join me at this conference.  I have requested sponsorship.  My
theme leading into the event focuses on the parallels between the
growth of Linux, despite obstacles and outright opposition,
historically along side the progress of women in technology.

I would like some ideas and also support for attending this event.  It
is strongly supported by major executives, and corporate sponsors.
One day is dedicated entirely to Open Source and women involved with
Open Source.

I believe Fedora benefits in the following ways:

1) this event is designed to support an often
overlooked/disenfranchised segment of technology, which we can embrace
and shoulder future support
2) female executives from major companies, also decision makers attend
this event, it is widely known to female professionals
3) the exposure opportunity is tremendous, the list of companies in
attendance is large;
http://gracehopper.org/2011/sponsorship/current-sponsors/
4) this conference has been in operation and growing since 1994!
http://gracehopper.org/2011/about/history-of-the-conference/
5) typical attendance hovers between 1500-2500, with attendees from
over 20 countries and each year over 300 scholarships are donated to
select female students
6) one example of name dropping:  Barbara Liskov, Institute Professor
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, MIT;  she
is a regular attendee!
7) a dedicated day devoted to Open Source:
http://gracehopper.org/2010/conference/open-source-track/ (our chance
for the Fedora Women to shine!)
8) check out the sponsorship levels:
http://gracehopper.org/2011/sponsorship/logistics-for-sponsors/   ( we
can tailor our exposure )

In conclusion, it is an opportunity to draw more attention from a
community desiring interaction, acceptance and inclusion into the
industry mainstream, at a much larger level than just exceptional
executives, but as a group, which is how the Fedora foundations of
friends, freedom and our strong community can really make an impact
and lasting impression so that Fedora and its' community are seen as a
resource, a viable option, a choice, that offers open doors and arms
to everyone!

I am positive we will not only recruit talented volunteers, but also
make important contacts leading to investigation and adoption of Open
Source, namely Fedora.

Please give this some serious consideration.  Obviously, I will help
financially as much as possible to make the event successful.  We have
lots of time to prepare in advance!  Thank you in advance!