[Ambassadors] Grace Hopper WAS conference request

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 02:54:14 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Beth Lynn Eicher
<bethlynn at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Dear Mario and Mark,
>
> I have always been fascinated by the Grace Hopper conference but I
> have never attended. Please count me as interested.
>
> Just in case others are interested, I have cross-posted.
>
> In 2010, Stormy Peters somehow procured a table for Free Software
> at-large. She then sent out an email blast which included
> women at lists.fedoraproject.org  I don't know if anything came of it.
> Does anybody know?

It is my recollection that we sent some materials to Stormy to make
available at the booth that year but I don't recall anyone from the
project attending (my recollection could be wrong though).

We did directly attend in 2011.

> I believe that Fedora is a great fit for Grace Hopper conference. The
> audience demographic tends to be academic. Free Software is great for
> doing research. Too much valuable time is wasted applying for grants
> to gratis proprietary software and monitoring the quantity of seats
> consumed. Why bother when Fedora is the freshest software out there?
>
> Thanks for getting this started. I plus one the idea of Fedora at
> Grace Hopper 2012!

Sounds like we will have some good people to attend this year too. Be
sure to keep FAmNA in the loop so we can help provide the resources
you need to make the event a success.

John