[Ambassadors] [FUDCon EMEA bids]Re: FAmSco meeting 2012-03-21 minutes

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 12:04:04 UTC 2012

Robyn Bergeron píše v Čt 29. 03. 2012 v 04:22 -0700:
> On 03/29/2012 02:12 AM, Joerg Simon wrote:
> > On 29.03.2012 10:40, Joerg Simon wrote:
> > > I do not know if this is a argument - but as far as i know this is the
> > > *first bid from France Paris* -
> > >
> > > *Budapest lost* the bid last year and *loosing again would be a odd
> > > statement* to the hungarian community.
> > inspired from a private reply i got, i want to clarify
> > In no way this should imply from the hard facts one bid is more or less
> > valuable as the other bid! Both invested time and efforts!!!
> > But if the hard facts are even - then maybe this information can help
> >
> > all the best Joerg
> >
> Yes, I agree that if all the facts are even, perhaps it could help,
> but what I don't want to see is people feeling discouraged from
> submitting a bid simply because there is another bid that had been
> submitted the previous year.  Or worse, being the first to submit a
> bid and then feeling as though it was wasted time because a previous
> proposal was renewed.

+1
But I think what causes all this is that there is no defined selection
procedure. Or at least I don't see any.
I think next time we should define the selection procedure for FUDCons:
when and mainly who will decide where the next FUDCon will take place.
And those who will have a vote (FAmSCo, Board,...) shouldn't publicly
say their opinions before the actual voting not to discourage other
bids.
I just don't like the way it's being done this time when you hear that a
group of ambassadors have already voted it's gonna be in that city and
some write emails to mailing lists that want it to be there and there.
I may or may not share their opinions, but I think it's discouraging. I
think this shouldn't happen before all bids are submitted and ready to
be reviewed.

Red Hat Brno office always sends many developers to FUDCon EMEA and our
opinion may influence the decision-making. That's why I haven't publicly
expressed my opinion (and I think neither have Jaroslav Reznik and
others) just not to discourage others to work on bids that may turn out
to be great in the end.

Jiri