[Ambassadors] Budget Planning and Fund Request Guidelines in EMEA

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 4 18:09:33 UTC 2012

Hi Jiří,

i decided to respond here, because i think my points are not about the
content itself, but about some fundamental things ... and honestly i
think it would not get attention by people outside of FAmSCo if i only
reply on the wiki page ;)

On 04.09.2012 18:24, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> because we approved the last ticket of the "budget reform" at FAmSCo
> yesterday, I decided to create drafts of two wiki pages that will
> reflect the changes.
> Fund Request/Reimbursement Guidelines for EMEA:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/EMEA/Reimbursement

Working on this topic is good and necessary, the situation at the moment
was/is intransparent -  for certain reasons that does not matter anymore
... for the case that you have not done it yet, i strongly recommend to
involve Ruth Suehle right from the start, because she is the person who
has to shape the processes from the RH side in the future

i am sure FAmSCo is aware of the current existing budget and finance
pages and considered the good content we have here and purged the bad
things ...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_credit_card_process
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reimbursements
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sponsoring_event_attendees

to have regional differences in the processes and the numbers is ok, but
we have a central person at the RH side - so maybe we do not want to
fragment it too much. If all the suggestions and changes are done
regionally, a final central reimbursement page with a table to point out
the regional differences would help keeping things transparent.

> Main changes:
> - each region will be given a budget and we'll be responsible for its
> spending up to certain limits.

i always was advocating that FAmSCo should be a place for handling a
regional but also a global Budget for the whole Fedora Project - i admit
i got a bit tired about my fruitless attempts here ;) - (which means
people did not picked up their new role so maybe i was wrong?) [1]

In the current form by *only giving Ambassadors the right* to request
budget - i do not think this is a good justification claiming a regional
budget for all contributors and not a good signal as well.

Only if we Ambassadors are transparent, visible and approachable for all
contributors and give them a feeling that FAmSCo really represent them
from the Budget Side, we will get requests from the valuable
contributors who are doing the real development work!

> - there is a new role - treasurer (or budget wrangler if you will) who
> handles the regional budget, maintains and submits records, ensures the
> allocated budget is properly used, and makes sure that approved and
> spent requests are quickly reimbursed. I've been appointed by FAmSCo as
> a treasurer for EMEA for now.
> Budget Planning:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/EMEA/Budget
> Because EMEA will have to handle its own budget, we need to start budget
> planning, so that we can tell Robyn Bergeron and OSAS how much money we
> are going to spend. This quarter is transitional, it's already started,
> so it's a bit too late to do planning, but we have to get the drill. So
> I'd like everyone to add expenses he/she expects to have in this quarter

good that there is a role for doing this boring work - thanks for that
;) and thanks for seperate this role from the decission making itself.
Btw. is this treasurer a informal role bound to a famsco member or not?
Ah and here is some more boring data to include to your budget page draft:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jsimon/community_credit_card_report

Joerg

[1] http://kitall.blogspot.de/2011/02/ambassador-group-role-for-2011.html
--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688