[Ambassadors] EMEA ambassadors meeting 2012-09-12 minutes

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 10:46:39 UTC 2012

Onyeibo Oku píše v Čt 13. 09. 2012 v 11:03 +0100:
> On Wed, 2012-09-12 at 18:07 -0400, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > We had a productive meeting this time. 9 ambassadors showed up and it lasted for 2 hours.
> >
> > Minutes: http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2012-09-12/emea_ambassadors.2012-09-12-20.02.html
> > Minutes (text): http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2012-09-12/emea_ambassadors.2012-09-12-20.02.txt
> > Log: http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2012-09-12/emea_ambassadors.2012-09-12-20.02.log.html
> >
> > The next meeting will be in #fedora-meeting at 20:00 UTC on 2012-09-26.
> >
> > Meet you in 2 weeks,
> > Jiri
> > --
>
> Looks like I didn't miss much after I slept off
> TWO QUESTIONS:
>
> (1) Why are we promoting the use of propriety based social networks over
> free and open-source ones?  Before I joined, I see you guys discussed
> Facebook.  What's wrong with Diaspora?  Google+? ... Well, that's fair
> enough.

We don't promote proprietary social networks. We promote free software
in proprietary social networks which is IMO a difference.
We don't tell people to use FB. We are trying to get people, who use FB,
interested in Fedora.
We may love Diaspora or Identi.ca, but we have to promote Fedora where
people are. Facebook has over 800 million people. There are 25,000 ppl
subscripted to our page. That's something we have to utilize.

The problem is that we don't. Our page at Facebook is dead. I restarted
our page at Google+ a few days ago, starting to promote our test days.
It's very promising so far. About 220 people signed up for Power
Management test day, over 150 for Nouveau test day. If only 1/10 of them
actually show up it will be a success because average test day
attendance is about 10-15 ppl. A lot of people learned about test days
for the first time.

Unfortunately, it's only G+ now. We should do something like this at FB
and Twitter where there are even more people and bigger potential. And
no one is held back to do the same in free and open social networks.

Jiri