[Ambassadors] T-shirt for each F19 release party organizer

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Mon May 6 19:22:16 UTC 2013

John T. Rose píše v Po 06. 05. 2013 v 12:59 -0500:

> >> I initially was going to say that I like the idea of rewarding people for doing a little more (like those who throw
> >> release parties), but this is a good point. There are lot of people helping Fedora just as much in other ways.
> >
> > This idea was meant to replace the old reward program for release party
> > organizers which is why it was originally limited to them (btw release
> > party can be organized by any contributor, it's not limited to
> > ambassadors). I have absolutely no problem to include other teams, too.
> > But there are several problems to solve.
>
> For the record I am against buying dinners and giving trips to FUDCons
> and whatever else to release party organizers as well. Regardless of
> who can in theory organize a release party these goodies are being
> given by ambassadors to other ambassadors for honestly not doing very
> much.

I don't agree with this. I don't know how about parties in NA, but in
EMEA there are parties with over 100 attendees and such events don't
have easy logistics. I personally organized several release parties with
over a hundred attendees (the biggest one had about 140) and it was
quite a lot of work, definitely something that is worth a t-shirts (for
the record, I excluded myself from any reward or contest because I
organized it with the help of Red Hat).

> Compare this effort to that expended by QA or Design release after
> release and there are never any goodies for them. We could be better
> ambassadors internally by giving a thank you to those working hard
> elsewhere in the project. I'd be fully behind an effort to send a
> thank you to the QA team.

As I said, I have no problem to include others, but they have to make a
move. What I hear all the time is that FAmSCo should only take care of
ambassador program and that we're not the emperors of Fedora Project.
What do you think they'd say if we came up with raffles and set rules
for other teams.
I'm OK with helping other teams with production and distribution because
that's what ambassadors have experience with, but they have to do the
rest: set criteria, identify people who qualify for a gift etc.
I personally asked Fedora QA several times if they'd like to send some
goodies to their testing heroes. I heard back that they were not sure if
that was the right way to go. I've been asked several times by people
from different Fedora teams if I could give them some goodies to
recognize a contributor in their team. I never turned them down and gave
them what was available (hats, mugs, stickers,...).
So they're not being left out, but it needs to be their initiative.
FAmSCo and ambassadors are here to help, not to dictate rules and force
raffles upon other teams.

Jiri