[Ambassadors] F23 media production (in EMEA)

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 14:52:57 UTC 2015

Jiri Eischmann píše v St 14. 10. 2015 v 17:44 -0400:
> Hi,
> Fedora 23 is just around corner and we haven't discussed media
> production yet. For F22, produced 2,000 Workstation DVDs and 1,000
> Alternative Desktops DVDs.
>
> A couple of facts:
> * the minimal amount to order is 1,000
> * 2,000 DVDs of Workstation was just enough for this cycle, we ran
> out of them just a couple of weeks before a new release, we still
> have a couple of hundred of Alternative Desktops ones though.
> * unit price if you produce 1,000 is 40% higher than if you produce
> 2,000.
>
> We can go with the same amounts again, at the regional meeting,
> someone suggested that we should go with a lower amount. In this
> case, it would make sense to only produce the minimal amount of
> Workstation ones.
>
> Status of DVD alternatives:
> * USB sticks are still >10x more expensive than DVDs unfortunately,
> they're faulty and too slow to load. Not an option to fully replace
> DVDs nowadays.
> * we've released a 'Getting Started with Fedora' handbook, it doesn't
> include any media with Fedora, but tells users how to create one and
> provides much more info about Fedora. And it's very close to DVDs
> price-wise: https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/getting-starte
> d-with-fedora-handbook/
>
> Opinions, ideas?
>
> Jiri
> --

We haven't reached any conclusion and it's really time to order them.

That's why I propose we produce 1000 Workstation ones. I will also
order 1000 for usage of Red Hat Czech which will help us get a better
unit price.

That should be it. I would not order any other kind. DVDs are media of
the past, we produce them for legacy reasons and will discontinue them
eventually, so I think the minimal approach is right and we should not
ship full variety of Fedora offerings on DVDs because it's not our
primary way to distribute Fedora any more. Let's stick with the default
offering and with minimal amounts and let's discontinue it in 1-2
releases.

Jiri