Package updating problem and solutions

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:26:24 UTC 2008

Recently, an update of D-Bus software package in Fedora 10 caused the
substantial breakage of some applications, including PackageKit.  This
change left people using the distribution's default set of graphical
tools unable to update their systems properly to fix the problem.  The
update was issued after being tagged as a security update, and was not
sufficiently tested before it was made available to all users through
our update repositories.

We apologize for the problem, which we realize has caused an annoyance
for many users.  If your machine was affected by this problem and you
are unable to run a normal system update using PackageKit, you can
restore your system to full working order by doing the following:

1.  Open a terminal.  From the main menu, choose Applications, System
Tools, Terminal.

2.  Use the following command to update the system from one of our
repository mirrors.  The system prompts you for the root password.

        $ su -c 'yum update'

3.  Restart your computer, to ensure the system message bus is reset
appropriately.

Using our open mailing lists, the community is currently discussing
ways to improve Fedora's update processes, to minimize the chances of
this sort of situation recurring.  Feel free to follow the
conversation on the list: