One week slip of Fedora 14 schedule

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 12 01:57:40 UTC 2010

Today we held our readiness meeting for the Alpha release of Fedora
14.  As you may know, this is a meeting with representatives from the
Development, Release Engineering, and Quality Assurance teams.  In
these meetings, we evaluate the list of blocker bugs and give a "go"
or "no go" signal on the state of the Fedora release.

You can read the minutes of the meeting here[1], but in short the
decision was made that the release has not passed its release
criteria[2].  When this happens, the entire release schedule is
slipped by a week, and we work to get things in better shape for the
next meeting.  We'll get the schedule[3] updated in the next day or
so, but in general this means that our general availability date for
Fedora 14 has now gone from October 26th to November 2nd.

During composition of any further release candidates, the Fedora
Release Engineering and Quality Assurance teams plan to be quite
conservative in the updates they pull into the release candidates, so
that we don't inadvertently create more blocker bugs. I'd also like to
thank those who have really pushed hard to try to get the Alpha into
shape. In particular, the Release Engineering team put in a lot of
extra hours to compose our release candidates, and the QA team did a
fantastic job of testing the release candidates and knocking out as
many blocker bugs as possible.

While I regret the fact that the schedule has slipped, I'm confident
it was the right decision to ensure that Fedora 14 is a rock-solid
release.

[1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-08-12/gonogo.2010-08-12-00.00.html
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Alpha_Release_Criteria
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/Schedule