Fedora Council elections schedule

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 31 18:22:28 UTC 2014

We have a schedule for the election of the two at-large members for the
Fedora Council. Any Fedora contributor is eligible to run, and all are
eligible to vote. Two seats are currently open. (See the charter at
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Council> for details of the new Council
structure.)

These positions are of strategic importance, with a full voice in the
Council's consensus process. The primary function of the Council is to
identify community goals and to organize and enable the project to
achieve them. (See my Fedora Magazine article on planning at
<http://fedoramagazine.org/lets-talk-about-fedora-project-objectives/>.)
These elected positions are an important avenue for direct community
input into this process, and the selection of good representatives is
essential.

The Council will be an active leadership body and all members will have
significant impact, and are expected to participate actively — to keep
up with current community issues, communicate regularly, and be able to
respond within a reasonable timeframe. We recognize that this level of
commitment is difficult for many community members with full-time jobs
not directly related to Fedora, and the intent is not to exclude those
contributors. At the same time, these positions will require a
meaningful commitment of time and responsiveness. If your other
obligations make this impossible, please consider suggesting candidacy
to other community members who you feel would be able to bring your
voice to the table.

Anyway, the schedule:

    November  4-10: Nomination period open.

           You may self-nominate. If you wish to nominate someone else,
           please consult with that person ahead of time. If you know
           someone who would be a good candidate, now is a great time
           to make sure they're thinking about it.

    November 11-17: "Campaign" period.

           Candidates are highly encouraged to make blog, mailing
           lists, and social media posts about their plans. We will
           also conduct an e-mail-based interview with each candidate,
           with all answers published on Fedora Magazine simultaneously
           on the 17th.

           We will not be holding IRC town halls this time around.

    November 18-25: Voting open.

           Voting will close at 00:00 UTC on the 26th. Run

                date -d '2014-11-26 00:00 UTC'

           to see the deadline in your timezone, if you are planning on
           cutting things close.

November 26th: Results announcement and new Council will be in effect.

Details are available at <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections>,
and there will be a further announcement when the nomination period
opens.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>