[fedora-arm] arm-linux-gnueabi toolchain available

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 23:46:49 UTC 2007

A few weeks back there was a big discussion on fedora-devel-list about
cross compilers in relation to the Fedora arm project.  Somewhere in the
thread I promised we (GES @ Red Hat) would put out our cross compilation
bits as proof of concept.  While we're still making some changes to our
cross rpm packages, we can share our current cross compiler beta for
those who are interested.  We're producing working root filesystems with
this compiler, so you should be able to as well.

A couple things to note: The tools are portion of the GNUPro toolkit
currently in development (aka gnupro-07r1-1) and is not based on the
sources from Fedora (It is gcc 4.2.1, for instance).  We don't normally
build with RPM, so the spec file is a wrapper to our rebuild program
(Which handles the chicken/egg problem aka gcc/glibc).

Source and binary RPMs are available here:

ftp://ftp.ges.redhat.com/private/releng/arm-linux-beta

These were built on a 32 bit RHEL3 host.  It works just as well on a
x86_64 Fedora 7 box, so no worries if you want to rebuild.  Unless
otherwise directed, tools will install under
/opt/redhat/gnupro-07r1-1/H-%{_host}/bin

To rebuild you need to define %target like so:

rpmbuild -ba --define 'target arm-linux-gnueabi' gnupro.spec

All feedback appreciated.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com