[fedora-arm] arm-linux-gnueabi toolchain available

Manas Saksena msaksena at marvell.com
Thu Aug 9 06:53:23 UTC 2007

Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> Sure- just to quickly rehash my goals for Fedora:
>
> I'd like to see $TARGET-binutils and $TARGET-gcc as standard Fedora
> packages. For the purpose of this list, TARGET=arm-linux-gnueabi (Or
> some variation thereof), but what I'm ultimately after is to have as
> many packages as possible be cross-friendly.  These cross-binutils/gcc
> packages *should* be based directly on the native binutils/gcc packages.
>   There's already what is needed for binutils.  With gcc, more work is
> needed to split the target libraries from the compiler itself.  Once
> that is done, gcc should be relatively easy (No chicken/egg problem).

Phew! thats what I thought you were after (from the discussions in
fedora-devel). So, we are on the same page -- good!

> In crosstopia, there is a complete mesh of cross compilers for every
> Fedora architecture.  Whenever there is a package to be built, whether
> it's for i686, arm, s390, powerpc, any host can compile it for any
> target.  This requires the cross compilers, some enhancements to rpm,
> and some enhancements to Koji.  It's all technically feasible, though.

Yes.

> There was an extensive discussion on fedora-devel-list about this.  You
> can catch the beginning of the thread here:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-June/msg01006.html
>
> Also Lennert's hijacked thread :-)
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-June/msg00189.html

Yup! I remember the whole thread etc.

>  > Could you explain how you leverage Fedora in your approach, or is that
>  > not something you particularly care about?
>
> That's part 2 :-)  We have an in-house build system called rpmbuildroot
> that uses mock and GNUPro to cross-build Fedora packages.  We make some
> changes to the Fedora packages so they can cross build (Plus whatever is
> necessary architecture-wise).   Sometime soon we hope to release the
> rpmbuildroot environment so people have access to the patches and can
> try out a different system.

Well, thats the stuff that I am interested in. And, we are just about
ready to get seriously started on that front -- so hopefully you wont
hold back on that for too long :-)

Manas