[fedora-arm] OpenOffice RPMs

omalleys at msu.edu omalleys at msu.edu
Wed Dec 29 17:13:39 UTC 2010

Quoting Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net>:

> Speaking of dependencies - there is a package build circular dependency.
> Not sure if this should be reported as a bug:
> openssl needs krb5-devel to build
> krb5 needs openssl-devel to build
>
> I'm pretty sure that can't be right since one has to be built first. In
> this case I could rpm -ivh --nodeps, but I shouldn't really have to do that.

It probably should be reported to the mainline but Im not sure it can
be fixed either.. :)

You can probably do a rpm -ivh openssl-devel krb5-devel

then rebuild one and install, then rebuild the other and install and
then rebuild the first one again.. that seems convoluted, but you have
to recompile gcc 3 times in order to get the bootstrap right too.

Im not sure exactly how important it is given usually you are using
the shared libs anyway.

> Speaking of bugs, do ARM Fedora bugs go into the bugzilla.redhat.com or
> into a different bugzilla?

no idea. I was trying to figure that out as well.
It seems like they need to be reported in both places since they need
to be fixed eventually by the official package maintainer

>> To get around the OOM issue, just add a swap file. Here is a quick
>> how-to if you aren't familiar.
>
> I'm prefectly aware of how to add a swap file, thanks. I've only been
> doing this for 20 years or so. :p

I didn't know. :)

>> It is probably going to take quite a bit of time to compile. Given
>> there isn't a compiled version for arm, it will probably take more
>> work then just a recompile.
>
> Well:
>
> 1st attempt:
> OOM-ed with only 512MB of RAM (I wanted to avoid swapping onto SD, it's
> painful enough without the extra disk I/O it causes).

fwiw, when i did kernel build time testing with the guruplug. I tried
nfs, and a usb/esata drive plugged into either port. nfs with the
nosync option was the fastest (50 minutes) and both esata and usb2
were roughly the same time at 60 minutes.

> 2nd attempt:
> Failed because the build process used up all 8GB of space on the SD card
> and died.

Im surprised at this.. it doesn't -seem- like it should be quite that big.

> Going through the 3rd attempt now. Let's hope the 16GB USB stick proves
> to be big enough to hold the build directory...

hopefully. :)

> Considering how much I've had to build from src.rpms (shockingly, I've
> not yet found anything that actually failed to build cleanly), I'm
> half-tempted to put up a repository of my own when I'm done. Given that
> ARM netbooks are becoming more popular I'm sure I won't be the only one
> looking for these.

I was hoping the f13 would be released for xmas. :) but it appears
like f12 is going to be around a bit longer..