[fedora-arm] F14 qemu arm default board

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Thu Dec 30 16:39:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 10:47 -0500, omalleys at msu.edu wrote:
> In F14 x86, we finally have the ability to add an ARM based VM via the
> libvirt management tool!! IE you can go through the GUI and set up an
> qemu based arm VM*.
>
> It defaults to the integratorcp board. But our image/kernel for F12 is
> for the versatile board.)

The F12 ARM project doesn't provide a kernel, and the rootfs is pretty
much board-agnostic, so you just need to use/supply a suitable kernel.

I haven't used QEMU ARM under F14, but under F12-F13 you could do an
initial manual configuration after which you can use manage it using
virt-manager:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu#Using_QEMU_with_libvirt

In that context, the versatile kernel worked fine.

(Would you update that wiki page with F14 setup instructions?)

> *since we don't seem to support kickstart, and we don't have an
> installer, you can really only import in an existing image. But hey it
> is better then what we had!

The concept of an "installer" in ARM land is pretty limited. There is a
graphical installer for Sheeva/Guruplugs, but it's primarily a tool for
installing a kernel and prebuilt rootfs (it would be hard to package for
Fedora, too, since it contains an entire prebuilt Linux image for use
during bootstrapping, and building that from source would be Big).

-Chris