[fedora-arm] Cheap ARM devices

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 06:04:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 12:04 -0600, Adam Miller wrote:
> > RAM is a really good point, I think it will be in the ballpark of 256
> > (plus or minus a bit). Also, I'd like to open up the conversation
> > about version of ARM we as a SIG want to support as the efforts start
> > to ramp up while targeting popular devices. I think ARMv9 might be a
> > little too aggressive but are there any devices that are still
> > prominent that are ARMv5? Would it be possible (or even feasible) to
> > maintain ARMv5, ARMv7, and ARMv9 in parallel and treat them as
> > separate architectures?
>
> The ARM "Family" vs. "Architecture" numbering is wonky (and very
> frustrating - larger numbers don't reliably mean newer, bigger, faster,
> or better). The SheevaPlug uses an "ARM9E" family chip, which uses the
> "ARMv5TEJ" architecture. ARMv5 is a needed current target for that
> device and others.
>
> However, the popular Cortex chips use ARMv6M and ARMx7* architecture. Is
> there enough performance difference to warrant targeting both
> independently? And just the kernel, or userspace as well?

I'd been pondering Adam's exact question. It seems that Ubuntu (not that we
should or need to follow what they do) decided upon supporting ARMv7 and
later at their UDS [1]. There's also some other points here [2]. They also
discussed a number of other worthwhile points to do with device trees and
bootloaders which I presume are all relevant for discussions about support
of Fedora on ARM platforms. But generally I've ignorant about the pros and
cons of supporting the different artchitectures and I know there's
discussion over THUMB vs no THUMB compile options as well.

Peter

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/364654/
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mobile/ARMv7AndThumb