[fedora-arm] fedora-arm kernel rpm

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Mon Mar 8 08:23:07 UTC 2010

Lennert Buytenhek píše v Po 08. 03. 2010 v 09:14 +0100:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:04:39PM -0300, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
>
> > what do you think about creating a kernel-rpm for fedora-arm, I think
> > should be useful to have a kernel for my sheevaplug with nfs, ipv6,
> > and other interestings things.
>
> Sounds good.  Actually, I think any Fedora/ARM provided kernel should
> just enable the same drivers and features as the Fedora kernel does on
> x86.
>
> It is not (yet) possible to build a single ARM kernel that works on
> more than one ARM SoC, so the kernel build process would have to build
> a bunch of different images for different hardware platforms, which
> would require some kernel .spec file hacking.  (But, there's already
> some support in the spec file for something like this, so it probably
> wouldn't be too hard to do.)
>
> On top of that, there might be some hacking needed to produce working
> initramfs'es on ARM, and we might have to add some tools to flash
> kernel images on some popular boards, perhaps some tools to modify the
> uboot environment from within Linux, etc.

initramfs - dracut works very well with a configuration that doesn't
include unneeded stuff to keep the image small
flashing kernel - flash-kernel utility from Debian should work (package
under review)
modify uboot - uboot has tools (fw_setenv) that can modify the uboot
environment, a package is work-in-progress

So the underlying infrastructure should be almost ready.

Dan