[fedora-arm] Flash GuruPlug NAND without JTAG cable?

Jon Hermansen jon.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun May 9 06:46:31 UTC 2010

Hello all,
 I just got a brand new GuruPlug a few days ago and I was hoping to install
Fedora ARM on it as soon as possible. Well, the only problem is, I neglected
to get the JTAG breakout box / cables required to get the U-Boot prompt and
thus, as far as I can tell, can't do much about loading a new U-Boot version
(hopefully to boot from microSD), putting a new U-Boot config, Linux kernel
and accompanying rootfs on the NAND/external MicroSD card. I can see the
/dev/mtd* devices from Debian 5.0.3, kernel 2.6.32-00007-g56678ec, but I
have yet to write to them from my live system as I want to be absolutely
sure about what I'm doing on this front.

I'd also like to know if I can use the internal NAND/external MicroSD card
as one big device, as opposed to two seperate devices. I realize the NAND is
not addressed as a block device, but if they both can contain filesystems,
does that mean that I can use UnionFS (or something similiar) to bridge two
seperate filesystems and divide the space taken up by data between the two
storage devices?

If anyone could provide any more information on what I'm attempting to do
(flash NAND, reinstall OS) without a JTAG cable, either on a SheevaPlug or a
GuruPlug (from what I've read, they are nearly the same), it would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all of you guys for working out the kinks in Fedora ARM, and I'm
looking forward to using my favorite distro on the smallest PC I've ever
had...

Jon Hermansen