[fedora-arm] Flash GuruPlug NAND without JTAG cable?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Tue May 11 15:26:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 11:22 -0300, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Jon Hermansen <jon.hermansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I looked at the uImage bit in a hex editor, and found nothing interesting or
> > configurable, just kernel junk. In the "u-boot" partition, I have found bits
> > that look like configuration information, but I _do not_ want to modify the
> > default u-boot options, in fact, I'd rather leave them in case I get a JTAG
> > cable later or do something to bork my OS. I also can't discern where in
> > this file lie the custom settings vs. the default settings, so I won't
> > change any bits here yet...

You can do a complete reflash via jtag later if need be, so I wouldn't
go out of the way to avoid changing the boot parameters if you need to
do that.

> > If anyone has any more information, please advise. I am considering writing
> > to Global Scale / the kernel developers over at Marvell to see if they can
> > drop me any hints...

Some of the Marvell folks hang out in #fedora-devel, if you catch them
at the right time.

> you can access it using sheeva USB cable and gtkterm for example.

No, the guruplug doesn't have the built-in console that the sheevaplug
has -- the USB<->(console+jtag) circuit is in the external JTag box.
That makes sense for production units customized for a specific app, but
the sheeva configuration is better for experimental/development
purposes.

-Chris