[fedora-arm] Flashing Fedora-12 onto a SheevaPlug?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 19 02:58:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

I just received my SheevaPlug shipment yesterday, and today I've been
trying (and failing) to install Fedora 12 onto it.  I'm trying to set up
the plug to boot off nand.  Unfortunately the instructions on the wiki
are pretty sparse.  I'd consider myself a Fedora expert, but I'm
definitely new to ARM and embedded systems (modulo some time I spent
with a TuxScreen system about a decade ago).

I've downloaded the f12 root filesystem and modified it as per the wiki.
I also downloaded the 2.6.32.21 kernels from
http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/2.6.32.21/ (as per the wiki), but I
have no idea if these are the "right" packages to use.  I only chose
this because it's the version of the kernel my F12 laptop is running).

Then I downloaded the sheevaplug installer (again, as per the
fedora arm wiki), but of course it didn't work on my fedora-12 64
system; the problem was that runme.php needed "<?php" instead of just
"<?" in order to get php to run...  and even when running in an su
environment, it still thought I wasn't root.

After trying to comprehend the sheevaplug-installer readme, googling to
figure out where to find the uboot-custom.txt, and then finally getting
the installer running, then I get the dreaded "No valid NAND flash
driver found":

 ****	Burning uboot and environment variables ... This will take few minutes ...
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.4.0 (2010-02-22-22:59)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
	http://openocd.berlios.de/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
2000 kHz
trst_and_srst separate srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain
jtag_nsrst_delay: 200
jtag_ntrst_delay: 200
dcc downloads are enabled
Error: No valid NAND flash driver found (0)
Available NAND flash controller drivers:
  nonce
  davinci
  lpc3180
  orion
  s3c2410
  s3c2412
  s3c2440
  s3c2443
  s3c6400
  imx31
  at91sam9
 ****	openocd FAILED
 ****	Is the mini USB cable connected?

Luckily my sheeva is still running its original config.  uboot is
working (albeit with the default version):

 ** MARVELL BOARD: SHEEVA PLUG LE

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Jul 14 2009 - 06:46:57) Marvell version: 3.4.16

So...  can someone help me wipe out the debian installation and install
fedora-12?  I think there are enough hits on the web to reflash my
uImage, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to flash the
rootfs.tar.gz into mtd2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-derek