[fedora-arm] About arm choice of toolchain options

omalleys at msu.edu omalleys at msu.edu
Mon Aug 1 18:13:07 UTC 2011

Quoting DJ Delorie <dj at redhat.com>:

> It's also a fun exercise in bootstrapping, to make sure we still can
> do it.

I haven't looked at the docs in a while, but we are most likely going
to need this again in the distant future. Plus the fact it seems to
come up all the time. It would be appropriate to have it overly
documented. (Overly in my definition includes stupid details, like if
xyz happens you screwed up step 113. Your definition may vary. :) )

>>   If I understand correctly, neon will have better support for
>> simd instructions right?
>
> There are still some armv7 chips that don't have neon, though, so we
> (Fedora) chose to avoid neon for now.

IIRC Neon isn't a requirement for armv7 but a vfpu is. It is a good choice.

Neon is a simd processor, however, the code needs tweaking for neon,
so that would be a great place to volunteer if you are looking for
something. There are a 100 other places to help also, including
testing documentation.. :)