[fedora-arm] Kaymap not surviving reboot

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Aug 8 14:34:51 UTC 2011

On Monday, August 08, 2011 09:01:22 AM Gordan Bobic wrote:

> >> like

> >>  Indeed they do, I figured it out.
> >>
> >>  The problem is that system-config-keyboard edits xorg.conf, and
> >>
> >> does so
> >>
> >>  extremely poorly and brokenly. It actually breaks a valid
> >>
> >> xorg.conf, in
> >>
> >>  fact, by creating a ServerLayout section without an Identifier
> >>
> >> entry.
> >>
> >>  But the real problem is that it creates a broken keyboard entry
> >>
> >> that
> >>
> >>  doesn't do anything. Because it loads the keymap at run time, the
> >>  settings go live in the current session, but after re-starting
> >>
> >> xorg,
> >>
> >>  they don't get re-applied because the InputDevice section that
> >>  system-config-keyboard created is broken. Xorg.0.log eventually got
> >>
> >> me
> >>
> >>  looking in the right direction. the main thing that the InputDevice
> >>  section was missing was the
> >>
> >>  Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
> >>
> >>  line. Without it the keyboard entry failed, and on Tegra at least,
> >>
> >> NVEC
> >>
> >>  keyboard would get detected on that device node and started, which
> >>
> >> would
> >>
> >>  default to the US layout every time.
> >>
> >>  The solution was to fix the InputDevice entry manually, and use the
> >>  evdev driver. After that NVEC (found via udev it seems) driver gets
> >>  loaded, but it sees that the device is already claimed, so it goes
> >>
> >> away.
> >>
> >>  The net result is the keyboard working with the correct map.
> >>
> >>  I'm not entirely sure what against to file this bug report, or even
> >>  where. I'm guessing against system-config-keyboard, but we're not
> >>
> >> up to
> >>
> >>  the point where we can build/test rawhide on Fedora on ARM, are we?
> >>
> >> My
> >>
> >>  experience is that in genereal, the life cycle of fedora is too
> >>
> >> short
> >>
> >>  for the fixes to ever arrive for anything except Rawhide...
> >
> > I suspect that this is entirely an issue that effects only tegra
> > based devices.
> > I have a spanish keyboard in my smartbook and ithas all just worked
> > as
> > expected.
>
>  Did you have a xorg.conf or were you running without it?
>
>  I don't see how some parts of this could be Tegra specific,
>  specifically the fact that it creates a ServerLayout section if there
>  isn't one there and doesn't create an Identifier entry in it. That along
>  will make Xorg fail to start. Can you check whetiher it does that on
>  your system?

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by system-config-display
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "es"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	#Driver      "fbdev"
	Driver      "imx"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection

thats my xorg.conf file. its been awhile since i set it all up so i dont
remeber if it was there before i switched the keyboard from english to spanish

Dennis