[fedora-arm] Newer kernel for Genesi efikamx

William Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 14:47:01 UTC 2011

On 08/08/2011 09:52 AM, Dan Horák wrote:
> William Cohen píše v Po 08. 08. 2011 v 09:41 -0400:
>> On 08/06/2011 03:09 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
>>
>>> Could you or some other proven packager have a look at Bug 728730?
>> The
>>> attached (and tested) patch makes it possible to use kernel
>> parameter
>>> "console=ttymxc,115200" on Freescale i.MX based (EfikaMX like Genesi
>>> Smarttopp/Smartbook). It would really be cool if this can be
>> included in
>>> one of the upcoming rootfs images.
>>>
>>> Note that the Genesi systems can not run Fedora 14 yet. The
>> currently
>>> available kernel (2.6.31) does not work with Fedora 14. F14 requires
>>> kernel 2.6.32 or newer. There is work being done on a kernel update,
>> but
>>> the result is not stable yet. When Genesi has a stable kernel, they
>> will
>>> likely post it in their blog at http://blog.efikamx.info/ . I'm also
>>> trying to keep track of it and will send a message to this list when
>>> there is a kernel update.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Niels
>>
>> Hi Niels,
>>
>> I have a Genesi Efika mx smartbook and have been trying to get a newer
>> kernel running on it so I can try out Fedora 14 on it when the
>> packages become available. The following blog entry talks about
>> building 2.6.38 kernel:
>>
>> http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2011/05/16/linux-2-6-38-on-efika-mx-smartbook/
>>
>> I have been able to cross compile a kernel and install it, but I
>> haven't been able to boot the machine with the new kernel. I built and
>> installed a newer version of module-init-tools (3.16) on the machine,
>> but maybe there are other rpms that need to be newer for this to work.
>
> I was going to try it soon, so thanks for your build. What's the problem
> with the kernel? Are you booting from SD card or the internal flash
> disk? Is your kernel available to download?
>

> Dan

I was trying to boot the machine from an SD card. I have previously been able to natively build a kernel to try systemtap out on the machine. The following link describe the steps used to get the 2.6.31.24 kernel up and running:

http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/SystemtapOnFedoraArm

For the 2.6.38 kernel I used http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2011/05/16/linux-2-6-38-on-efika-mx-smartbook/ as the starting point. I haven't made a tarball/rpm of it. I used the http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/download/efikamx/hrw-kernel-config-for-2.6.38.txt for the configuration.

As far as failure mode I turned off the "rhgb quiet" on the boot, but I still got a blank screen. Tried toggle to caps lock key and didn't get any response. I don't have the jtag/usb dongle, so no serial output and I don't have much insight into how things are failing.

-Will