[fedora-arm] elfutils build problem with ARM bootstrap

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Sat Jun 25 23:30:44 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

Roland: please see the following page for background:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap

Stefan was right that "ar" was broken in the F15 bootstrap. In fact what
happened was that the "ar" rebuilt by elfutils fails to recognize the
"u" option. It seems to be something up with argp_parse routines, though
I haven't had chance to poke much. It's a good thing we used the "ar" in
binutils to build, or we'd probably have hit this problem:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/poky/2010-December/001026.html

(which happens if you then try to rebuild elfutils with the bustes one)

Roland: what I need to know here if possible is why elfutils would be
building without support for this option, but otherwise be working ok?
If I edit all of the Makefile.in in the source to replace "cru" with
"cr", I am able to rebuild elfutils with the busted elfutils, but of
course we still don't have the ability to update archives with ar.

For now, I suggest we switch to the binutils minimal "ar" that has been
working just fine and wait on Roland to get us any ideas.

Jon.