[fedora-arm] GCC PR #50521

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Nov 9 10:05:45 UTC 2011

 On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 07:44:02 +0100, Henrik Nordström
 <henrik at henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> tis 2011-11-08 klockan 15:05 -0800 skrev Brendan Conoboy:
>
>> Per our IRC conversation, the second patch in 50521, "patch to
>> honour
>> STRICT_ALIGNMENT," breaks the gcc build.  Midway through, xgcc is
>> used
>> to generate an executable which segfaults.  The build works with
>> 50521's
>> "proposal patch" however.  I have not tested the result.
>
> It's the first "proposal patch" that I worry about.
>
> As discussed in the PR the second patch is a separate problem and do
> not
> belong here and should be moved to a PR of it's own (alignment in
> general). But it is possible armv5 may need something like this in
> some
> cases, I do not know.

 Speaking of alignment, armv5 has been in need of a GCC option to force
 4-byte alignment of all arrays (including char[] arrays) and structs
 since forever. Arguably, it should be on by default on arm. But I guess
 that is unrelated to this particular alignment issue.

 Gordan