[fedora-arm] Raspberry Pi and Eclipse

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Nov 28 16:29:05 UTC 2011

 On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:06:10 -0500, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info>
 wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 12:18 +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> Acording to the documentation on raspberrypi.org, it would seem that
>>  Raspberry Pi are dropping Ubuntu in favour of Fedora because Ubuntu
>> is
>>  dropping support for ARMv5/ARMv6 (yay!).
>>
>>  Also, according to the Raspberry Pi wiki, they expect that Eclipse
>> will
>>  work. That doesn't appear to be the case at the moment. Has anybody
>>  managed to get Eclipse to build on ARM recently? Or has Eclipse ARM
>> port
>>  been given up on?
>
> We're working on the Raspberry Pi remix here (it has to be a remix
> rather than a spin for now).

 Why not the standard release? What's wrong with the vanilla version?

> As I've written on the Raspi forums, anyone
> expecting to use Eclipse on a Pi is probably dreaming -- there's just
> not enough RAM. The model "B" device has 256M, but the GPU will
> normally
> be allocated 64M, leaving 192M for apps. You can boot in as little as
> 11M, but after X and a DE, it doesn't look like there will be enough
> RAM
> to use Eclipse without thrashing. (And frankly, until we get X
> connected
> up to the GPU, it will be too painful.)
>
> gedit with plugins is probably a more appropriate choice :-)

 I am in no way disagreeing. If you see my posts on the R-Pi forum,
 you'll see that my impression is that R-Pi has too little memory to be
 useful for most things, let along desktop use.

 I have another reason for looking at getting Eclipse working since I am
 porting RHEL6 to ARM, and Eclipse is one of the last packages that I
 haven't been able to get to build.

 Gordan