[fedora-arm] Some comments on bconoboy's trimslice images

David A. Marlin dmarlin at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 14:42:22 UTC 2012

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> In general pretty good - they work well.  However there are a few
> problems I encountered:
>
> (1) There's no source for the boot scripts.  I think you should put
> the source along side the binaries, in /boot/uboot.  I ended up using
> 'strings' and reconstructing them.

Agreed, the source for the script should be added.
> (2) The sda boot script works fine, however the mmc boot script fails.
> 'fatload mmc 0:1 ...' should be 'fatload mmc 1:1 ...' (in both places).

It worked as provided for me (fatload mmc 0:1).  Could this be device
dependent?

> (3) If you have both images installed, then it boots one of them at
> random, because it boots from 'root=LABEL=rootfs' which picks one of
> the labelled root devices at random.
>
> This is not a completely stupid configuration: you need to do this if
> you're booting from a USB key and copying the mmc image to the
> internal drive.  At some point you'll have a trimslice with both the
> sda image and the mmc image.  Probably better to use UUIDs, or to have
> different labels.

I think he was going for consistency across images (change as little as
possible) and to support copying the image to an internal drive, as you
mentioned.  Would using UUIDs work in this scenario?  If so, what would
need to be done (if anything) besides transferring the image (via 'dd')?

I'm working on creating disk images using lorax/anaconda, and have
modeled much of the configuration from Brendan's scripts, so any tips
are appreciated.

d.marlin
========