[fedora-arm] Final Build Times Comparison Table?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 09:49:40 UTC 2012

Hi Jon,

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Jon Chiappetta
<Jon.Chiappetta at senecacollege.ca> wrote:
> Ok I made 2 different pages:
>
> http://142.204.133.82/jon/builds/timesa.html  --  This is based on all
> buildarch times averaged together for each task and then summed together &
> compared
> http://142.204.133.82/jon/builds/.pa.f18.log.all.log.a  --  The CSV data
> file containing: pa pkg , pa task , pa time , sa pkg , sa task , sa time
>
> ^^^ we might be ~15 days slower possibly
>
> http://142.204.133.82/jon/builds/timesb.html  --  This takes the single
> fastest buildarch time for each pa task and compares it to the fastest hsv
> buildarch time for sa
> http://142.204.133.82/jon/builds/.pa.f18.log.all.log.b  --  CSV: pa pkg , pa
> task , builderA=timeA ; builderB=timeB , sa pkg , sa task , builderA=timeA ;
> builderB=timeB
>
> ^^^ we might be ~7 days slower possibly
>
> Let me know if you have any complaints, suggestions, or anything. I think
> ive spent way too much time on this heh.

This looks great! Thanks for the work on it. It's great to see some
comparisions to mainline to see the actual build differences easily in
front of you and the type of builder it was built on. It's heartening
to see that the quad core devices are very similar to that of the new
mainline VM builders.

For the actual build times I don't think we can explicitly say how
long it will be. Also a rebuild isn't serial so a lot of it will
depend on the amount of builders available to see how parallelised it
can be. For promotion to PA we'll be moving to all quad core 4Gb RAM
builders whree a lot of what we have at the moment is dual core 1Gb of
RAM. Also a lot of the smaller packages are I/O bound.

Thanks again.