[fedora-arm] Possible File Formats for a Fedora ARM release

Jonathan Chiappetta jchiappetta at learn.senecac.on.ca
Thu Feb 2 22:22:06 UTC 2012

I would like to discuss (or learn about previous discussions) regarding the file format
for future possible fedora-arm releases. I believe we should have one file which
should provide all the data necessary to make a final bootable fedora-arm device.

Are there any suggestions on how the file should be laid out? For example:

Fedora-20-ARMv5-Guru.tgz = { ARMv5.guru.boot.tgz , Fedora-20-ARM.root.tgz }
Fedora-20-ARMv5-Panda.tgz = { ARMv5.panda.boot.tgz , Fedora-20-ARM.root.tgz }
Fedora-20-ARMv7-Panda.tgz = { ARMv7.panda.boot.tgz , Fedora-20-ARM.root.tgz }

The only problem I don't understand is that it doesn't seem to be as simple as
just choosing a general ARMv5 kernel for an ARMv5 device as an ARMv5 Guru
differs from a ARMv5 Smarttop which differs from an ARMv5 Panda, etc...

I'm sure most of you have a better idea of how this should work but the user should
only have to download one file at the end of the day right?

Thanks,
Jon.