[fedora-arm] Possible kernel config issue with Pandaboard ES (Phoronix)?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 17:39:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey, folks. Just in case it hasn't come up, I didn't see any discussion
> of this article yet:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora17_arm_wrestling&num=1
>
> Phoronix is of course not always on the mark, but their results seem to
> suggest there's a config issue in the Fedora kernel regarding the
> OMAP4460 core used in the Pandaboard ES - apparently cpufreq support is
> lacking, and consequently the CPU doesn't run at full speed. The
> benchmarks seem to confirm this.

Yes, we've already committed a fix but it looks like we'll also need a
different uboot build in the short term or we need to work out when
the needed work for the old pandaboard will make the mainline kernel.

The cpufreq driver was only in mainline as of 3.4 and it also has
other dependencies so it's not quite as straightforward as he makes
out based on the Fedora upstream requirements.

Also I've no idea why he was using the llvmpipe X driver where the
image uses the omap driver, the ubuntu driver of course has a binary
blob driver.