[fedora-arm] Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix 17 update

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Fri Jul 6 15:40:35 UTC 2012

A long-overdue update on the Raspi remix...

- There are some remaining compose issues, work is proceeding.

- Firstboot has been extended with modules for timezone (bugfix for
existing module), root password, rootfs resize enable/disable + swap
size select, hostname + systemd target (text or graphical login).

- Rootfs-resize picks up resize instructions and swap size from
firstboot.

- There are a number of unexplained segfaults, e.g., in Midori and
Fritzing. I don't think these are specific to the Raspi (Paul W's been
looking into them) but the size of the debug symbol set has been
hampering debug efforts. Help wanted! - (no Pi required)

- Wireless USB adapters (possibly other devices?) may not initialize
properly due to udev killing child processes prematurely. Help wanted!

- The kernel and firmware have been updated to the Raspi upstream. The
config we're using is (raspi SOC options + usb devices - non-USB devices
(PCI etc) + Fedora non-device options (IPv6, iptables, crypto, etc)).
The most persistent kernel issue is USB disconnect/reconnects, which is
a real pain when the disconnect on the keyboard takes place after a
keydown scancode (they keystroke repeats for a looooong time); the
kernel is otherwise in reasonable shape but remains at 3.1.9. The
firmware now has support for overscan, etc.

- Bootup with systemd is taking ~20M without SELinux, ~50M with. I don't
want to turn off SELinux, but 15% of RAM (192M) is too expensive.

- X performance is still painful. Help wanted! This is particularly bad
since firstboot uses X, which gives a bad first experience. A generic
X-on-OpenGLES2.0 implementation would be useful on a lot of ARM boards.

- Test images will be out once the compose issues are solved (RSN). I'm
committed to not releasing the final prematurely (i.e., before it Works
Well), but the working target is the 20th.

--
Chris