[fedora-arm] F17 snapshot images

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Sat Mar 31 15:10:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-31 at 09:52 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:20:17 -0700
> Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On 03/30/2012 05:35 PM, "Andy Green (林安廸)" wrote:
> > > It's great that you're doing this, but I don't think dding
> > > partition + filesystems is a good idea.
> >
> > It's definitely tricky to get right.  The number of possible
> > configurations makes it tricky to do an efficient selection of
> > images. I may end up doing a combination tegra+omap+etc image to cut
> > down the waste.
> >
> > > We found that various "8GB" SD cards have different absolute
> > > numbers of available sectors, it can lead to eventual filesystem
> > > corruption if your image is slightly large than someone else's card.
> >
> > Well, the image is being created out of a sparse file with 8000
> > 1048576 byte sectors.  If that proves too many it would be little
> > trouble to drop it down to 7900 or something.  We'll see how it goes
> > in practice.
> i think we should only make the image 2 gb  using domething like "dd
> if=/dev/zero of/raw/disk bs=1M count=2048" cound could be 2000 also
> then it should work everywhere.

On the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix I'm shrinking the image as much as
possible by shortening the last (root) partition. The  partition is
resized to fill the SD card on first boot (fdisk, reboot, resize2fs).
This results in a small image size, minimizes unnecessary writes to the
SD card, works on any card size, and lets you take full advantage of the
space on the card.

Perhaps we should adopt that approach for the images?

-Chris