[fedora-arm] Fedora 17 and Fedora 18 both hang on Dreamplug

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Wed Oct 3 13:36:10 UTC 2012

On 10/03/2012 02:41 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Eric Floehr <eric at intellovations.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a Fedora desktop user and have a couple of Dreamplugs with a JTAG I'm
>> working with and trying to get Fedora on.
>>
>> However, both the Fedora 17 image and the current nightly Fedora 18 image
>> soft lockup on boot, at about the same place.
>>
>> I was wondering what the next steps in debugging this would be, and if I can
>> help in any way to test builds, file bugs, etc. I would love to contribute
>> and help out and use a Dreamplug as a test box. I'm new to ARM and embedded
>> systems, but am willing to learn (would love to know how to build a uImage,
>> SD card .xz file, etc.)
>>
>> Here are links to full console output (including printenv and bdinfo command
>> output) of my Fedora 17 attempt:
>>
>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/322193/dreamplug/fedora-17-attempt-1.txt
>>
>> and my Fedora 18 snapshot attempt (pulled today, October 2, 2012):
>>
>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/322193/dreamplug/fedora-18-attempt-1.txt
>>
>> Thanks for any advice on next steps you can provide, and looking forward to
>> helping in whatever way I can.
>
> It looks like it's not finding the root file system. I've no idea
> about the make up of the device nor what media your trying to boot it
> on. It's likely we're either not building the required drivers or not
> filesystem can be accessed.
>
> If someone could provide more information about that it would help a lot.
>
> Peter

Peter,

If you look at both logs you'll note the typical "Welcome to" messages.

Welcome to Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)!
&
Welcome to Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)!

These only happen after Dracut (the initramfs) has located and mounted
the root filesystem and load init from it.

More information for the the device:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-dreamplugdetails.aspx

Now if you not in the specs there is a 2MB NOR flash for Uboot and then
all other internal storage is a microSD card (I've taken mine apart and
confirmed this in the past). From the logs, somewhere after init
launches udev is firing up the nand kernel module and it's causing a
softlock up.

As I suggested in my post last night, boot the system into single user
mode by adding 'single' with no quotes to the boot args. This will drop
you into a shell (hopefully before udev is started) and then you can
black list the nand kernel module(*) and try rebooting. Failing that you
could mount the SD card in another system and try adding the blacklist
directly.

* https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_modules#Blacklisting
(excuses the offdistro link, I couldn't quickly find an equivalent link
for Fedora).

--
Scott Sullivan