[fedora-arm] Just in case you don't read Slashdot :)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 07:50:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM, Jon Chiappetta
<Jon.Chiappetta at senecacollege.ca> wrote:
> This looks exciting / promising!
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/10/04/1942201/linux-37-kernel-to-support-multiple-arm-platforms

I'd not read that but then I was reading the commit logs for the
kernel so already knew. We've been awaiting this for some time.

In the short term (3.7rc1 timeframe) we're hoping to get an initial
combined vexpress/highbank/mvebu kernel for testing. It's still a long
way to go and I suspect it will be more like 3.9 or 3.10 before we get
to our final desired goal of a minimal set of kernels.

> (is this device tree blob related then? or something completely different?)

Completely different but still related. They are all a part of a big
effort to be able to have a x86 style unified kernel. DT and the above
are two parts of a big complicated jigsaw that's slowly coming
together and people are starting to see what the picture will look
like.

For Fedora 18 with 3.7 it should (whether it works out in time or we
start with F-19 and roll it back) mean we can support more devices
with a couple of less kernels. The mvebu platform is the Marvell
Armada XP chips so that should allow us to support the Dell Copper ARM
servers, the Armada XP dev boards and the Codethink Baserock Slab
devices.

With luck for 3.7 we should be able to basically merge
vexpress/highbank into a single kernel and add mvebu to that mix. Not
perfect yet but another step forwards.