[fedora-arm] Who's using Kirkwood?

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Oct 6 09:58:33 UTC 2012

On 10/06/2012 10:43 AM, Jon Masters wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm interested to know who is using Kirkwood, and who would miss it if
> it went away. For now, we won't kill off ARMv5 because it is used in the
> official rPi builds but that doesn't mean I'm not interested to know
> whether we should put testing effort into Kirkwood for F18.
>
> My thought is that the latest plugs are moving to ARMv7, and so as the
> cutting edge Linux distro, we should make plans for deprecating support
> over the coming releases. This is not a call to drop support today. If I
> can get numbers on how many people care, that will help.

It be very careful about dropping Kirkwood. The original SheevaPlug and
DreamPlug are still probably the most commonly available and most
commonly used ARM machines out there.

Personally I don't really care if you drop the kernel support for them
in latest Fedora because I build my own kernels anyway, but I suspect
that opinions on this list may not be representative - membership of
this list is likely to be skewed toward the developer audience rather
than the users who expect to just dump the image on the SD card and use
the device.

Perhaps when SheevaPlug and DreamPlug are no longer available to buy
new, it might be OK to drop Kirkwood support, but I'd be weary of losing
it before then.

Gordan