[fedora-arm] Who's using Kirkwood?

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Sat Oct 6 12:51:29 UTC 2012

> I'm interested to know who is using Kirkwood, and who would miss it if
> it went away. For now, we won't kill off ARMv5 because it is used in the
> official rPi builds but that doesn't mean I'm not interested to know
> whether we should put testing effort into Kirkwood for F18.

I'm using Kirkwood, with a couple of Dreamplugs. I've been working to get
F17 and/or F18 to work on it (it turns out the Dreamplug doesn't have NAND
and the orion_nand kernel module was hanging).

> My thought is that the latest plugs are moving to ARMv7, and so as the
> cutting edge Linux distro, we should make plans for deprecating support
> over the coming releases. This is not a call to drop support today. If I
> can get numbers on how many people care, that will help.

I would hate to have to move back to Debian on my plugs. I use Fedora on my
desktop and RHEL and CentOS on my servers, so I really like the option of
having the same on my Dreamplugs and Synology NAS (and other ARMv5's I may
purchase in the future). Global Scale is still actively selling ARMv5
devices, and Synology (I have a 212) is still actively selling NAS's with
Kirkwood, so it is far from a dead architecture.

I do understand your point about Fedora being cutting edge (though last I
checked Fedora still runs on a Pentium 4 :-), and maybe BusyBox or Debian
is a better choice anyway for "small computers", but I'd hate to not have a
Fedora option, as I think there are a lot of Kirkwood's out there.  And
while Kirkwood is a subset of a small subset (ARM computers), I still
consider it pretty cutting edge! ARM is still pretty new, and there are a
lot of plugs out there that don't even know that Fedora is an option :-).

Anyway, my two cents. I have a couple of Dreamplugs and just starting to
get active in the ARM and Fedora ARM communities. I'm still learning a lot,
but am certainly willing to chip in where I can on testing (though probably
will need some hand-holding at first).

Cheers,
Eric