[fedora-arm] Who's using Kirkwood?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 14:04:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Gordan,
>
> On 10/06/2012 05:58 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> On 10/06/2012 10:43 AM, Jon Masters wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I'm interested to know who is using Kirkwood, and who would miss it if
>>> it went away. For now, we won't kill off ARMv5 because it is used in the
>>> official rPi builds but that doesn't mean I'm not interested to know
>>> whether we should put testing effort into Kirkwood for F18.
>>>
>>> My thought is that the latest plugs are moving to ARMv7, and so as the
>>> cutting edge Linux distro, we should make plans for deprecating support
>>> over the coming releases. This is not a call to drop support today. If I
>>> can get numbers on how many people care, that will help.
>>
>> It be very careful about dropping Kirkwood. The original SheevaPlug and
>> DreamPlug are still probably the most commonly available and most
>> commonly used ARM machines out there.
>
> That /may/ be true. Maybe. I don't know that for sure. They certainly
> were popular amongst a certain crowd. I would say the most popular board
> these days is likely the rPi, followed by some of the new v7 devices,
> especially the cheaper rPi-inspired AllWinner based stuff, which we
> probably need to look into supporting more officially.

We already are. People are running Fedora on various AllWinner devices
and I'll have a Cubieboard some time soon and was planning on putting
together a kernel for it. It unfortunately will be similar to that of
the RPi as the source code is not yet upstream although I believe
there is movement towards getting it there.