[fedora-arm] Who's using Kirkwood?

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 19:03:10 UTC 2012

On 10/11/2012 03:10 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Just out of interest, which packages are you referring to? I am assuming
> it is LibreOffice + a small subset of whatever is in Fedora that isn't
> in EL; mainly because I had no RAM/swap/CPU issues building any the 2000
> or so packages that overlap. Takes about 3-4 weeks on a _single_
> SheevaPlug.

You're building 2000 packages, we're building 12000.  Libreoffice is
definitely one one of the problem packages where an armv7hl builder is
called for.  The koji server has a special 'heavybuilder' group which
handles such packages.  Are you using USB storage on your sheevaplug?
It surprises me that you can get through even 2000 in 3 weeks unless
half of them are noarch ;-)

>> 3. Certain features such as atomic operations aren't available on armv5,
>> reducing the number of packages that can be built for ARM in total: If
>> it fails on armv5 but works on armv7, we still don't get it for armv7.
>
> In _most_ packages that require this, there are patches that address it.

According to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora17_rawhide
openmpi, pixie, mongodb are all currently broken due to atomics.  This
blocks condor, iwhd, perl-MongoDB, netcdf*, espresso, gdl, gdal,
gromacs, ScientificPython, towhee, pypar, orsa, R-RScaLAPACK, nco, which
in turn blocks even more packages.  This is not an exhaustive list.
This also doesn't consider that some package builds are transiently
successful and transiently fail due to thread-safe issues which aren't
coded for in armv5tel.  With 12000 packages you never known when an
armv5tel build is going to hit an SMP builder and expose such a bug.  It
happens all the time, but koji-shadow just reissues these builds so they
work on a subsequent build... sometimes.  Or they block hundreds of
packages because of a transient failure.

>> 5. On the whole, it's not a popular Fedora ARM target. Raspberry pi,
>> OMAP, highbank, this is where most (not all) of our known users have
>> hardware and interest. There are some Kirkwood users, clearly, but there
>> are a lot more users of everything else. We should get some updated
>> download stats on this to demonstrate, but last I saw kirkwood was maybe
>> 3% of usage.
>
> Perhaps a poll might be a good way to ascertain this, rather than a
> discussion?

Feel free to organize one, but what will you do with the resulting data?
  Regardless of the result, the bottom line is that the people who
volunteer to do the work get to set the direction.  The plug devices are
perfectly useful, still in production, but there just isn't enough
manpower interested and capable of supporting them over the long term.
The way to keep kirkwood alive isn't to justify its existence, it's to
do the work to keep it running.

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com