[fedora-arm] How about SAN or other Network Block Storage on ARM devices

David Gates dgates at iocellnetworks.com
Tue Oct 16 13:19:36 UTC 2012

Hi.

I've been tinkering with the Linux NDAS driver.
The competition for this storage system in the x86 world are Coraid's
AOE and Linux' NBD.
They are essentially the same idea, connecting computers to the block
device on the LAN.

NDAS seems to work fine, on my Fedora desktops, and on the ARM units I
have tested: pogoplug, sheevaplug and seagate goflex.
They are running a BusyBox version though. I have not yet installed
fedora on the plug to test it though.

I am wondering if there is any future using it with ARM networks.
I don't see much talk about using this type of storage applications on
this and some other ARM lists that I joined.

I am working on the web scripts working that allow connecting the
storage as a typical drive from my sheevaplug, but it looks like there
is no big market now. So I am asking what users here think of this.

At first, AMAHI.org released a Fedora based plug version with Greyhole
storage pooling by default. I was thinking it might be a good idea as a
low cost, high capacity system if the plugs were to pool several of the
NetDISKs together.

Shall I continue my experiments?

Do you think the growing power of ARM boards will lead to simply
building in HD and such?

Can you see this kind of scale out connectivity in the future of ARM
computers, using several block devices on LAN as a storage for lots of
ARMs doing background storage and service?

Has anyone done multiple ARM computers connecting to a block device for
central storage using a Global File System or Greyhole?

Thanks for your consideration