[fedora-arm] still do not have sata root fs bootable on wandboard quad

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 12:06:12 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Ronald <ronald.gadget at gmail.com> wrote:
> I run F20 root FS with F21 3.12.1-2.fc21.armv7hl kernel. (see
> http://www.swissdutch.ch:4999/ ) on my Wandboard quad.
>
> I cannot boot from sata, as the root FS is being mounted about 4 seconds
> before the sata device is ready during the fedora boot process.
> (And yes, I understand uSD card is needed for uboot, kernel, mouting /boot
> fs etc. That is perfectly acceptable - I just want the root FS and swap to
> be coming from Sata for obvious reasons).
>
> I try to understand the magics of Fedora boot, initramfs and the likes. It
> seems I need to get a PhD for this!  ;-)

Unlikely, I don't have one ;-)

> Question: how do I ensure the root fs is mounted AFTER the sata device is
> ready???
> Some people suggested adding a sleep command ro a dependency - my question
> is where and how in the initramfs do I do such a thing???

dracut controls the initrd and the entire early boot process. Most
things you should be able to add to /etc/dracut.conf and then you'll
need to regenerate the initrd using dracut. The man pages and docs are
relatively good.

> (again, when booting pointing the root fs to the sd card, the sata is
> working fine at the first login as seen with fdisk -l).

It sounds like your not getting the right modules into the initrd.
Make sure you add the appropriate modules into the dracut.conf and
then regenerating the initrd.