[fedora-arm] uboot with hyp mode support now available for the cubietruck

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Dec 9 13:28:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 02:18:43PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi Richard et al,
>
> Good news for those wanting to play with hw virt on arm, there now
> is a u-boot with hyp support:
>
> [    0.050980] CPU1: Booted secondary processor
> [    0.051033] CPU1: thread -1, cpu 1, socket 0, mpidr 80000001
> [    0.051181] Brought up 2 CPUs
> [    0.051201] SMP: Total of 2 processors activated.
> [    0.051208] CPU: All CPU(s) started in HYP mode.
> [    0.051213] CPU: Virtualization extensions available.
>
> To use this, build this uboot from source:
> https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi/commits/sunxi-test
>
> ie:
>
> make -j4 CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- cubietruck_config
> make -j4 CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu-
> sudo dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0  bs=1024 seek=8
>
> And use it with this kernel, which removes a hack I had added
> to get the arch timers to work without proper uboot support:
>
> https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-sunxi/commits/sunxi-test2
>
> I called it sunxi-test2 rather then re-using the old sunxi-test,
> so that people with an older u-boot following sunxi-test don't
> get bitten by needing a newer u-boot.

This is great news.  I'll test it out tonight.

I was reading Peter Robinson's blog today[1] and he mentioned getting
AllWinner support, in Fedora 21.  Is that a realistic plan -- (from my
point of view) at least headless virt support for the Cubietruck in
F21?  I'm not too clear on how all these patches are going upstream,
if at all.

Rich.

[1] http://nullr0ute.com/2013/12/arm-hardware-support-on-fedora-20/

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v