[fedora-arm] Fedora 20 for Raspberry Pi????

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Dec 30 11:54:41 UTC 2013

Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
>On 12/30/2013 09:58 AM, Andy Green wrote:
>>

>> Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>close

>>> the
>>>
>>> I'm very glad you mentioned compilers - this is in fact easily
>fixable
>>> at compiler level. Intel's ICC has an option to make all arrays and
>>
>> No, if your code takes the approach to cast the struct pointer into a
>byte stream, the struct pointer itself can be unaligned.
>
>It won't fix all cases, but it will fix a large chunk of them - perhaps
>
>enough of them to make fixing the remainder a tractable problem.

It's already tractable, you're choosing not to engage with solving it upstream.

>> Your compiler can do nothing about that, you have to touch the
>members using bytewise accessors to be compatible with SoCs that don't
>fix up unaligned access properly.
>>
>>> structs always aligned to a boundary (up to 16 byte, IIRC). If GCC
>were
>>>
>>> to implement such a feature the problem could be made to go away
>>> without
>>> actually addressing the underlying cause of the problem. It might be
>>> bodge, but since complete fix of the underlying problem isn't going
>>> happen anyway, a good bodge would be a lot better than doing
>nothing.
>>
>> What's wrong with you sending patches to the upstream?
>
>Nothing apart from the amount of man-months it would take to

Nonsense... a few years ago I made my own cross distro for an ARM9 device without hardware fixup, entirely from source tarballs, and there were almost no alignment issues in the major projects.

I guess they will tend to start to increase since more people are using newer ARM SoC which all have hardware fixup - but you are the backpressure against that by providing patches for the real problems you found... at least if you care about it, you should be.

-Andy