[fedora-arm] Fedora 20 for Raspberry Pi????

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Dec 30 13:17:31 UTC 2013

On 12/30/2013 07:54 PM, Andy Green wrote:

> Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>> close

>> fixable
>>> No, if your code takes the approach to cast the struct pointer into a
>> byte stream, the struct pointer itself can be unaligned.
>>
>> It won't fix all cases, but it will fix a large chunk of them - perhaps
>>
>> enough of them to make fixing the remainder a tractable problem.
> It's already tractable, you're choosing not to engage with solving it upstream.
>
>>> Your compiler can do nothing about that, you have to touch the
>> members using bytewise accessors to be compatible with SoCs that don't
>> fix up unaligned access properly.
>> were
>> nothing.
>>> What's wrong with you sending patches to the upstream?
>> Nothing apart from the amount of man-months it would take to
> Nonsense... a few years ago I made my own cross distro for an ARM9 device without hardware fixup, entirely from source tarballs, and there were almost no alignment issues in the major projects.
>
> I guess they will tend to start to increase since more people are using newer ARM SoC which all have hardware fixup - but you are the backpressure against that by providing patches for the real problems you found... at least if you care about it, you should be.
>
> -Andy
In recent years i think most instances of misalignment in packages has
been picked up by openwrt/ddwrt/tomato/etc users, as most routers have
MIPS processors, and most of these can't correct misalignment. So far
the routers seem to be continuing with MIPS cores. If they move to ARM I
can't think of anything which will keep the number of misalignment
issues down.

You can't blame programmers for leaving alignment issues in their code.
I try to keep my code alignment safe, but without a test platform where
alignment matters I just can't tell if I have missed something. You can
blame programmers if they won't make a real effort to flush out those
problems when they are reported. Things like autoconf tests make it easy
to use special handling of misalignment where it is needed, and let the
hardware handle it where it can. It is hard to ensure you have caught
every instance where optional processing needs to occur.
>> investigate
>> all of them, write patches, and chase the upstream through to accepting
>>
>> them (if they are even accepted).
>>
>> Gordan

Regards,
Steve