[fedora-arm] Fedora packaging process

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel at seyman.fr
Tue Feb 5 10:04:57 UTC 2013

* Andrew Wafaa [05/02/2013 09:41] :

> Aloha all,
>
> If possible could someone briefly explain the packaging process on
> Fedora, please? As an example, on openSUSE (as that is what I'm
> accustomed to) the process is basically this:
>
> Package is built in a users home repo, once built and tested it is
> then submitted to the appropriate development project with a request
> in the message to go into factory (equivalent to rawhide) ->
> development project accepts/rejects the submission, if accepted the
> package is then submitted to factory for inclusion in the next distro
> release, if rejected clear explanation as to why is given.
>
> What is the equivalent on Fedora? How does mock, koji shadow etc all fit in?

Nitpick: this probably belongs on another mailing-list (packaging ?)

A package is built by a packager, preferably in a chroot built by mock.
Once this is built and tested, the spec, patchs and source are commited in git
and tagged,the package is built once again in koji, it is then submitted as an
update to a stable branch or added to rawhide, depending which target was
specified. For a stable branch, the package is put in the updates-testing repo.

Users have the ability to grade and comment an update.

Once a sufficient delay has passed, the update is pushed in the updates repo.

Emmanuel