[fedora-arm] Cubieboard 2 compatible kernel package

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Aug 14 12:45:07 UTC 2014

For a change I can help!

Been here, done a few things...

On 08/14/2014 07:26 AM, Andy Green wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have a headless cubieboard 2 running a 3.4 kernel that came with the
> board, but a Fedora rootfs already.

You are using:

https://fedorapeople.org/~lkundrak/a10-images/

stuff?  It works well on my CB2.  Well as well as can be expected with
the Allwinner 3.4 kernel, and part of the reason why there is now a
community effort to build an open uboot.  Hans posted a note about this
back aways.

> It's been pretty workable, but now I need to compile an OOT kernel
> module, and that's a big mess with the magic 3.4 kernel. The defconfig
> it was built with has gone 404, although a tarball of the sources
> (with different defconfigs) exists.
>
> So after reading the megathreads here about cubieboard 2 support
> working, I went to look for a rawhide kernel package and give it a try.

I am using the F21 builds, rather than the rawhide.  They are all there
together.

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/tasks?state=all&view=tree&method=appliance&order=-id

with instructions at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Rawhide/Installation

> However after looking at Wikis that are out of date compared to the
> mailing list, and an "Arm Koji" that only has 64-bit arm binaries in
> the kernel package, I have no idea where to go to get the latest armhf
> kernel package, U-Boot pieces etc.

Above is the 32 bit stuff.  uboot is another issue, but I will give you
what Hans posted here and works for me:

On your development machine (mine is my F20 x86 notebook):

Cubieboard2 uboot:

yum install gcc-arm-linux-gnu gcc
git clone https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi.git
cd u-boot-sunxi
git checkout -B next origin/next
make -j4 CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- Cubieboard2_defconfig
make -j4 CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu-

Everytime I make a new SDcard for a test F21 using:

fedora-arm-image-installer.sh
--image=Fedora-Xfce-armhfp-21-20140803-sda.raw.xz --target=Cubietruck
--media=/dev/sdb --norootpass

I run:

dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 seek=8; sync

To overlay the Cubietruck uboot with the Cubieboard2 uboot.  Works just
fine.

> I think this respin concept is not a good idea, I see rotting one-off
> "respins" including one from Feb for Cubieboard. But all I want is to
> upgrade the 3.4 kernel to use a Fedora one with latest upstream
> pieces. My fedora rootfs is already in good shape.
>
> What steps should someone in this situation take to align themselves
> with latest armv7 hf kernel and boot-related pieces that will work on
> Cubieboard 2?

Note that F21 is locked into the uboot 3.16:

http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

Perhaps rawhide will keep rolling in the latest uboot, but Hans has not
updated the uboot build I pointed out above for a while.  He will have
to comment on what updates may be in the works before it is merged into
the Fedora uboot base.

Hope this helps.