[fedora-arm] Cubieboard 2 compatible kernel package

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Aug 14 13:13:43 UTC 2014

On 14 August 2014 19:55:03 GMT+08:00, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> I have a headless cubieboard 2 running a 3.4 kernel that came with
>the
>> board, but a Fedora rootfs already.
>>
>> It's been pretty workable, but now I need to compile an OOT kernel
>module,
>> and that's a big mess with the magic 3.4 kernel. The defconfig it was
>built
>> with has gone 404, although a tarball of the sources (with different
>> defconfigs) exists.
>>
>> So after reading the megathreads here about cubieboard 2 support
>working, I
>> went to look for a rawhide kernel package and give it a try.
>>
>> However after looking at Wikis that are out of date compared to the
>mailing
>> list, and an "Arm Koji" that only has 64-bit arm binaries in the
>kernel
>> package, I have no idea where to go to get the latest armhf kernel
>package,
>> U-Boot pieces etc.
>
>ARMv7 was promoted to a primary architecture with Fedora 20 so all
>ARMv7 packages are part of mainline Fedora so you get them from the
>same place as x86

I see.   Thanks to David and Robert as well.

>> I think this respin concept is not a good idea, I see rotting one-off
>> "respins" including one from Feb for Cubieboard. But all I want is to
>> upgrade the 3.4 kernel to use a Fedora one with latest upstream
>pieces. My
>> fedora rootfs is already in good shape.
>
>Use F-21 or rawhide images, the process is outlined here [1]

Thanks.

>> What steps should someone in this situation take to align themselves
>with
>> latest armv7 hf kernel and boot-related pieces that will work on
>Cubieboard
>> 2?
>
>Kernel is upstream. We don't currently have a uboot that supports the
>Cubieboard 2 but that will come as part of the uboot 2014.10-rc2
>release that should be in Fedora in 3-4 weeks.

OK thanks.

I should be happy with upstream kernel if it can boot and do network and usb, which it seems it should.

There's a pile of slightly different "appliances" at the rawhide link from the wiki page.

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/tasks?state=all&view=tree&method=appliance&order=-id

I grabbed the image here

since it mentioned hardfloat and "Minimal".

I'm extracting it to a spare SD Card and will try to get a boot by hand on a second cubieboard 2, rather than mess with the rootfs on the main one I'll try to just transplant the /boot pieces if they work on the test one.

The 3.4 stuff it shipped with doesn't obviously have a separate dtb so it might take some meddling.

Thanks for putting me in the right direction.

-Andy