[fedora-arm] f23 arm request - uboot through video port

Troy Dawson tdawson at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 13:50:24 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 06:05 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi Troy,
> Well I'll suggest rather than coming out all guns blazing an email
> that would have been more constructive would have been "Hey, I'd like
> to see X better supported in F-23, this is what I believe the status
> to be how can I help improve that?"

My apologies.  I did not mean to come over that way, but in re-reading
what I wrote, it appears I did.  So, starting over, but with your context.

Currently the only way I know of finding out the status, and work being
done on u-boot is from this mailling list and this wiki page.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/u-boot_syslinux

Is there another place with the status, or is it ok to ask here from
time to time?

> So now that we're over the above this is our plans for both F-23, and
> how to move them back to F-22, open to suggestions and even better
> patches to help out :-)
>
> 1) a means of more easily upgrade u-boot to a newer version in a
> released image. We had most of this in place for F-22, we're actively
> planning to push an improved 2015.04 release to F-22, the currently
> pending blocker to that is the serial/HDMI rant you had above :-)
> 2) decent HDMI/usb console support with serial fall back, a bunch of
> SoCs need patches to enable this, they need to be upstreamable
> 3) more work on distro defaults upstream. We're actively working with
> upstream maintainers to enable this.
> 4) enabling work to ensure that new devices with upstream support
> "just work" without our interaction
>
> Believe me we're no lover of a serial only world but the fact is that
> decent support for a lot of devices has only just landed and there is
> two of us working on u-boot support in Fedora in 100% of our own time.
> We're trying to support new devices as fully as we can but sometimes
> other requirements come and roadtrain us. If you can assist with
> patches believe me we're happy to accept them, and provide
> constructive feedback if we feel there's issues. We hang out here on
> this list and #fedora-arm
>
> Peter

What can I do to help?
I'm a good packager, but the current package already looks good.
I can certainly test things.  I've very good at debuging
code/configurations.  My only limitation is that I currently only own a
Pi, beaglebone black, and pcduino3 Nano, with a Pi2 (hopefully) on the way.

Troy